Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Round 13 Review

Nhill put on a great show on the weekend for the Super Saturday round of hockey. It was not only the usual players, but some rather small stars, which got into the action. However, the presence of these Minkey hockey players didn’t spoil the usual hockey excitement and fierce competition that characterises the hockey in the Wimmera.
The Horsham Bombers broke through this week to record their first win of the season. Kim Trounce was best afield for Bombers, scoring the winning goal and attacking well throughout the game, and will be a dangerous player into the future. Bombers scored early and it was great defence from goalie Matt Tepper and half backs Monique Schwedes and Jordyn Pizzoni that kept the determined Kookaburras away. Luke Searle and Michael Pohlner were instrumental in the Kookaburras defence, whilst Shayman Villis helped to create attack for the Kookaburras. In the end it was the Bombers on top, with finally something to smile about this year.
In a surprise win, Kaniva Raiders trounced the Bandits 6-1. Raiders looked to be weaker this year after their premiership last year, but have grown together throughout the season. After a pretty even first half, Kaniva came out firing in the second to score 4 goals, which sealed the match for them. Both Jordan Clark and Kendall Meyer scored multiple goals for the Raiders and Claire McDonald showed once again that she is a real force in the half back line. It was the finishing skills of the Raiders that won them the match in the end, with only Lauren Bendall being able to score for the Bandits. John Schwartz was excellent in the Bandit’s defence.
Warracknabeal Revengers played superbly on the weekend to draw with second top team Kangaroos. Despite plenty of early pressure by the Kangaroos, which put them 2-0 up half way through the second half, Revengers dug deep to score two late goals. Eddie Aitken played a great game at half back for the Revengers, whilst forwards Josh and Rebecca McPherson pushed the ball determinedly into their attack. Kangaroos James Klinge and Josh Lehmann created some great plays, but it was Nathan Jorgensen and Clay Nuske who finished brilliantly, scoring for the Kangaroos.
Kaniva men and Horsham Hurricanes played an excruciatingly close match, with countless chances at goal being unable to be converted. It was a game played with hard hits from end to end, rather than midfield play, and it was the goalies, Kaniva’s Matt Wallis and Hurricane’s Steve Grose, who were the standout players for their teams. Kaniva seem to be improving this year, whilst Hurricanes will need a more solid, reliable line up if they are to be successful for the remainder of the season.
The women’s competition yet again saw some terribly close matches. The match of the round between ladder leaders ended with Warrack defeating Yanac by three goals. It was Yanac who started the match in style, with Mikaela Jago scoring early. However, Warracknabeal were determined, and with Alana Argent and Claire Cheesman at their best, were able to win fairly comfortably. Yanac’s half backs Sarah Coughlan and Mandy Falting were great in keeping the Warracknabeal score to a minimum. Warracknabeal seem once again to be coming good at the right part of the season.
The other women’s matches saw draws between Dimboola and Thunderbirds, and Horsham and Kaniva, showing the competition is still wide open in the rest of the year.

No comments: